For one of our neighbours, a candle started something they couldn't stop without the fire brigade tonight.
Luckily everyone was ok in the house (Thanks to another neighbours quick actions to get them out), but the sight of flames coming from a bedroom was a solid reminder to look after ourselves.
I remember 4 things from a fire safety officer course last year.
1 – Close all doors in the house before you go to bed. It slows the fire, and stops smoke from spreading through a house.
2 – Check the smoke and co2 alarms work on every level in the house
3 – Don't leave a room empty with a naked flame in it (candle, open fire)
4 – Make sure the whole family knows to shout Fire as loud as they can if they see one to warn everyone else, cover their mouths from smoke, go outside, then call 999.